One thing that I have really come to appreciate as I’ve matured into my mid-twenties is discovering my passions. Some have been slower to develop than others, but one passion that just feeds my soul is cooking. (Try telling me I’m not your punniest friend) It wasn’t until I moved to Baton Rouge that I really began to experiment with cooking and fell in love. Don’t get me wrong, Louisiana has some of the BEST food you’ll find in the U.S. of A., but when it comes to healthy eats it doesn’t quite take first place. As I became more aware of what I was putting into my body I realized I had the most control over my health in the kitchen. And so, I began to cook. I definitely have a long way to go, but I’ve been testing out my skills cooking for James (Shoutout to the best
guinea pig er, husband out there) and he has yet to find a recipe that I’ve prepared that he doesn’t like. Say it with me, winning!
One of the very first recipes I prepared after we got engaged was this Baked Coconut Chicken recipe, adapted from paleodietmentor.
I’m a sucker for flavorful, but relatively simple paleo versions of some of my old favorites. This recipe fit the bill and has since become a staple in our house. Here is my James approved and 24 Day Challenge friendly version:
BAKED COCONUT CHICKEN NUGGETS
- 1lb. boneless, skinless, hormone-free Chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup almond flour/meal
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- *1/2 tsp paprika
- *1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- coconut oil
- cutting board
- pan/cookie sheet with foil
*Depending on my tastes for the day I will swap out the paprika for cinnamon as a fun/sweeter twist.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl or on a large plate combine almond flour, shredded coconut, paprika, sea salt, and black pepper.
- In a separate bowl beat egg well.
- Cut chicken breasts into 2 inch ‘nuggets’ then dip into bowl with egg until well coated.
- Roll chicken nuggets into dry ingredient mixture, coating all sides evenly.
- Coat pan with coconut oil, or lightly coat cookie sheet with coconut oil.
- Place chicken on pan and bake for 25 minutes, watching for them to turn golden.
That’s about it! I serve these bad boys with honey, organic dijon mustard, or organic ketchup, but the sauce is up to you.