As the weather around here has begun to cool off, I can’t help but find myself craving lots of standard Fall comfort foods. I’ve been on a soup/chili kick most recently, which has been delicious, healthy, and budget friendly. Talk about a win-win-win.
Lately I have had a major craving for lasagna, but in a mostly paleo household that can be hard to do. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of amazing recipes out there for paleo versions of lasagna and the ones I have tried were extremely yummy…but I wasn’t craving those versions. This pregnancy craving wanted full-out, melty cheese-y, real noodle-y, blast from my pre-paleo past, lasagna. Now there was no way I was going to cave completely, but I found an awesome way to compromise that was ALMOST paleo…It. was. AWESOME. Seriously, it turned out better than I even expected.
Unfortunately, I’m not the professional foodie my husband is, and didn’t document this amazing meal, but I will still share the recipe and hope that you trust me on this one. The secret ingredient for this recipe was none other than Cappelllo’s Lasagna Sheets. If your local supermarket doesn’t carry Cappello’s you could make your own paleo lasagna noodles following this recipe or this one. There are also plenty of paleo veggie noodle alternatives pinned on my paleo dinners board if you prefer those! 🙂
Cappello’s Lasagna Sheets rock. Plain and simple. They are gluten free and paleo without the work! I usually am able to get a few meals out of 1 package, so totally worth the price in my opinion. Now, onto the recipe:
Almost Paleo Lasagna Recipe
- 1/2 package of Cappello’s Lasagna Sheets
- 1 lb Ground Beef (or whatever ground meat you prefer)
- 1/4 Onion, chopped
- 1 TBSP Oregano
- 1 TBSP Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
You can make your own sauce or use a pre-made marinara. (Just be aware of the ingredients! Watch out for added sugar and unnecessary extras. )
- 3/4 can of organic tomato sauce (13-15 oz size)
- 1/4 cup diced green peppers
- 1 cup kale
- 1 TBSP Garlic Powder (I typically would use fresh garlic, but forgot this time!)
- 1 TBSP Oregano
- 1/2 TBSP Basil
- 3 TBSP Grated Fresh Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1.5 tsp Pepper
- Any other veggies you like!
Optional: 1 cup Mozzarella cheese
- Place ground beef in skillet and cook over medium heat. Once mostly browned, add in onion and remaining meat ingredients. Cook until meat is done, approximately 5-10 minutes more and then remove from heat.
- In another skillet, add sauce ingredients over medium-low heat and stir occasionally. If it begins to bubble or boil, turn heat to low and keep warm.
- In an 8 x 8 oven safe pan or dish, pour enough sauce to lightly cover the bottom of the dish. (I used an 8 x 8 square pyrex pan because I only have to feed James and myself. If you’re making this recipe for more people you could use a 9 x 13 pan and the entire package of lasagna sheets.)
- Next, create a layer of noodles by closely placing your lasagna sheets next to each other.
- On top of the noodle layer add a layer of cooked meat and top with more sauce. This can be done to your liking, AKA if you like saucier lasagna use more sauce, if not pour lightly.
- Add another row of lasagna sheets, more meat, and sauce. (You can repeat this step again if you want/have room in your dish.)
- If using cheese, sprinkle 1 cup (it took a lot of self-control to keep it to 1 cup!) evenly across top layer of meat and sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 15 more minutes.
- ENJOY! 😛
If you give this recipe a try and enjoy it, will you be so kind as to give this amateur cook a comment below? I’d love to hear from you!